IX. EIGHTH BRANCH: SAKURAJIMA CAMP
Address: Osaka City
History: Camp was established 20 January 1943. On 22 January 1943, the first POW's arrived - 200 Americans from Hong Kong. On 5 October 1943, 100 Americans arrived from the Philippines. On 17 May 1945, all POW's tranferred to the AKENOBE camp, and on 18 May 1945 the camp was closed.
(a) 20 Jan 1943 - 11 Oct 1943: 2d Lt. Masatochi YAMADA
(b) 11 Oct 1943 - April 1944 (exact date unk): 1st Lt. Shuntaro HABE.
(c) April 1944 - 10 June 1944: 1st Lt. Akso FUJIMORI
(d) 10 June 1944 - Feb 1945: 1st Lt. Sai YAMASHITA
(e) Feb 1945 - 18 May 1945: 2d Lt. Yoshi KAMAMISHI
Work: At Hidachi Zozek Sakurajima Zozenjo (Sakurajima Shipyard and Hida Shipping Company)
Address: 17 Minamino-Cho, Sakurajima, Konohana-Ku, Osaka City.
The POW's helped build ships and manufacture machines.
The work supervision was set up as at all other camps.